4 shots at catching fireworks this weekend
Marion County visitors and residents will have four shots at fireworks displays this year, with shows planned for Peabody on Sunday, Aulne Friday, and Marion County Park and Lake and Ramona on Saturday.
Peabody will pull out all the stops Saturday and Sunday for its centennial fireworks show.
The fireworks display at dusk Sunday is known statewide because it’s one of few ground displays.
Before the show, the weekend will offer additional warm-up activities.
- Library book sale from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Wiffleball Homerun Derby tournament on the south part of the volleyball pit.
- Performance by Dustin Arbuckle and the Damnations at 7 p.m. in the parking lot of the Coneburg Grill and Pub.
- Peabody American Legion alumni dance from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Horseshoe tournament registration at 7 a.m.
- Washer tournament registration at 9:30 a.m.
- American Legion Women’s Auxiliary annual dog show at 11:30 a.m. Registration will begin at 11:15 a.m.
- Kids’ games and free swimming at the pool, starting at noon.
- Cupcakes and ice cream at the park from 2 to 4 p.m. as Peabody Historical Society celebrates the town’s 150th birthday.
- Parade lineup at 4 p.m. followed by parade at 5 p.m.
- Music in the park at 5 p.m.
- Fireworks show at dusk.
Admission buttons are $3 in advance and $5 at the gate.
Buttons are available in Peabody at Breathe Deep Works, CK Pharmacy, Coneburg Grill and Pub, ManeStreet Beautique, Fannie Sterling, Flint Hills Gypsies, Peabody city building, Peabody Market, Peabody Sausage House, Pop’s Diner, Porcupine Tea Company, Tennant Wood and Metal, and Vintage Bank.
In Marion, buttons are available at Carlsons’ Grocery and Hilltop Manor.
In Newton, buttons are available at Custom Cuts Garage.
Aulne Church’s annual fireworks and ice cream social will be Friday with music at 7 p.m., ice cream at 8 p.m., and fireworks at dark.
Ramona will have a public fireworks display at 9 p.m. Saturday.
Several events are scheduled this summer at the county lake.
- Saturday — Car cruise, concert, and fireworks. Drivers can cruise around the lake starting at 6 p.m. to live music by the Justus Band. Food vendors will be available and donations for the Marion fire department will be accepted. Fireworks will begin at dark.
- Aug. 6 and 7 — Annual bluegrass festival.
- Sept. 18 — Crappie tournament sponsored by National Crappie Association.
- Oct. 2 — Annual chili cookoff, cornhole tournament, and car show.
Marion County Fair will run July 17 to 24 at the fairgrounds in Hillsboro.
Besides judging of 4-H projects, the fair will offer a DJ, pedal pull, hotdog and watermelon feed, parade, and rodeo with mutton bustin’ and calf scramble July 21. Rodeo will return July 22 and an ATV rodeo and Hillsboro Young Professionals Glow Run will be July 23. A demolition derby will wrap up the fair July 24.
Goessel’s 48th annual Country Threshing Days are scheduled for Aug 6, 7, and 8. The event will feature:
- A downtown parade at 9:30 a.m. Aug. 7.
- Children’s activities and a pedal tractor pull.
- A pedal tractor raffle.
- Sawmill, draft horse, threshing, steam tractor, and stationary engine demonstrations.
- Extensive displays of antique farm machinery.
Last modified July 1, 2021