County buys land
east of the courthouse
Marion County Commission hired Dan D’Albini of Hillsboro as the county’s emergency management director Monday after a series of closed sessions.
He worked as a 911 dispatcher for 18 months in 2007 and 2008 and currently is manager of Wendy’s, Hillsboro. D’Albini will assume the duties on April 11.
After the meeting, he said the opportunity “to help people in a different way” was what attracted him to the position. D’Albini said his goals are “to make sure we’re ready for any catastrophe or emergency” and make sure the right resources are in place.
Commissioners met with Interim Communications Director Linda Klenda in closed session for 10 minutes, then with County Clerk Carol Maggard for 20 minutes, and with only the commission for 15 minutes before announcing the hiring of D’Albini.
The position was vacated by Michele Abbott when she accepted a job as 911 and emergency communications director for the City of Hutchinson and Reno County. Abbott served as both communications and emergency management director before her departure.
County buys land
The commission signed a contract with Darvin and Sue Markley to purchase property east of the courthouse for $130,000.
Deadline for dock compliance is May 1
Any docks at Marion County Park and Lake out of compliance with county regulations May 1 will be removed from the water.
Park and Lake Superintendent Steve Hudson said there are four docks out of compliance with a county regulation that they must be accessible from both land and water.
“At normal water level, if you get wet going out to the dock, you’re noncompliant,” Hudson said.
Hudson said he would send letters to the noncompliant dock owners reminding them of the regulation to give them time to make corrections.
In other business:
- Property valuation notices will be mailed today, County Appraiser Cindy Magill said. Many values went down from 2010, while some went up, and many stayed the same.
- Noxious Weed Department will purchase a steel Circle D flatbed for a spraying truck from Jost Fabricating for $1,910, installed. Other options were steel Hillsboro Industries for $2,250, aluminum Hillsboro Industries for $3,194, and Aluma for $2,805.
- The fourth annual John Waner Memorial Crappie Derby will be 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the heated fishing dock at Marion County Park and Lake. There is a $15 fee to enter, and rules are available at the lake office.
- Cardie Oil Company of Tampa will supply 5,500 gallons of diesel and 2,500 gallons of unleaded gasoline to Road and Bridge Department for $26,290. Cooperative Grain and Supply of Hillsboro bid $26,491.
- Joshua Housman has joined Road and Bridge Department as an Equipment Operator I at a salary of $1,981 per month.
- Road and Bridge Superintendent Jim Herzet said he had received inaccurate cost estimates for replacement of a bridge on 240th Road near the Chase County line. The county’s share of the cost will be $88,700, lower than previously thought, and commissioners approved replacing the bridge.
- Herzet met with commissioners in closed session for 10 minutes to discuss personnel matters. No action was taken on return to open session.
- Commissioners met in closed session for 10 minutes to discuss personnel matters. No action was taken on return to open session.
- Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. March 24 in the lake hall at Marion County Park and Lake.
The next commission meeting will be Monday.