County rep to participate in legislature
Kansas Silver Haired Legislature to consider various legislation
Tom Duggan of Tampa will participate as a Marion County delegate at the 26th annual Kansas Silver Haired Legislature.
Established by the Kansas Legislature, the organization includes individuals ages 60 and older who are elected by their peers to develop bills and resolutions that are of interest to Kansas senior citizens and their families.
The session will be from Sept. 30 to Oct. 2.
This year’s legislation includes:
- Urging the Kansas Legislature to enact legislation during the 2009 session to help combat predatory payday lending practices and predatory practices by consumer loan agencies, and income tax refund advance lending practices that adversely affect the elderly and other Kansas residents.
- Support increased funding for home and community-based service programs and nutrition programs.
- Requesting cities, counties, and other municipalities with traffic signals to adjust or otherwise provide for timing of traffic lights at crosswalks for seniors and people with disabilities to allow adequate pedestrian crossing time.
- Provide mandatory reinstatement of certain insurance policies because of mental or physical situations.
- Impose an excise tax on wind- generated electricity with proceeds to the Senior Services Trust Fund for senior services funding.
Last modified Sept. 24, 2008