• Last modified 3825 days ago (March 5, 2009)


County seeks stimulus money for city streets

Staff writer

Marion County Commission will pursue money from the federal stimulus package to overlay 190th between Marion and Hillsboro and Cedar Street in Marion.

Road and Bridge Superintendent John Summerville said at the commission’s Friday meeting Marion wanted the county to mill and overlay Cedar Street from U.S.-56 to Kellison Street.

Commission met Monday to discuss the proposal with Todd Heitschmidt of Marion Economic Development Inc., Marion City Administrator David Mayfield, and Marion Economic Development Director Doug Kjellin.

“Time is of the essence if we want to get some funding,” Heitschmidt said.

Mayfield said the estimated cost of overlaying Cedar Street was about $210,000. If stimulus money paid 80 percent of that and the city and county split the other 20 percent, each would pay about $21,000.

Dallke said the county should look at other possible projects.

“We ought to at least try to preserve 190th Road,” he said.

The cost of overlaying the road would depend on what method the county used, Summerville said. A basic two-inch overlay was estimated to cost about $48,000 per mile, or about $504,000 between Marion and Hillsboro. When U.S.-77 was redone, it was with a 15-inch overlay, he said.

Applications for stimulus funds are due March 13, Mayfield said.

In other business:

  • Cardie Oil of Tampa was awarded a bid for area fuel for four tanks. The company bid $1,063.20 for 800 gallons in tank one, $2,857.35 for 2,150 gallons in tank two, and $2,428.20 for 1,800 gallons in tanks three and four. The total bid was $8,776.95. Cooperative Grain and Supply of Hillsboro bid $1,084 for tank one, $2,913.25 for tank two, $2,421 for tank three, and $2,430 for tank four, for a total bid of $8,848.25.
  • Road and bridge department will assist with brush removal from a cemetery located near the intersection of 150th and Limestone roads. Summerville said it could take a couple of hours with a brush mower to clear a patch of sumac.
  • G&R Implement of Durham was awarded a bid for chainsaw protective equipment. The company bid $2,084.80 for 20 chaps and helmet systems, including goggles, ear protection, and hard hats. Prairieland Partners of Marion bid $2,267.60.
  • Hoch Publishing Company of Marion won a bid of $779 for 2,400 brochures for Marion County Park and Lake. Baker Brothers of Hillsboro bid $1,329.
  • The next commission meeting will be 9 a.m. Monday.

Last modified March 5, 2009