• Last modified 1524 days ago (June 18, 2015)



According to fire and ambulance transmissions, monitored by the newspaper:


4:50 p.m. — Marion firefighters extinguished three small fires in a ditch at 160th and Nighthawk Rds.

5:18 p.m. — Marion ambulance transported a patient with high blood pressure from near Timber and 240th Rds. to St. Luke Hospital.

6:45 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, and Peabody ambulance transferred a second patient from St. Luke to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.

8:40 p.m. — With Peabody ambulance still out of town, Florence ambulance was initially dispatched for a man with chest pains in the 100 block of W. Division St., Peabody. After emergency medical technicians informed dispatchers that Florence’s temporary ambulance was incapable of transporting a patient, the call was reassigned to Hillsboro ambulance. At 8:45 p.m., Hillsboro ambulance asked dispatchers to also page Peabody first responders, who arrived at 8:53 p.m. and provided directions for Hillsboro EMTs, who arrived at 9:04 p.m. and transported the patient to Newton Medical Center.


1:54 a.m. — A woman in her 90s with fever, weakness, and body pains was transported by Tampa ambulance from just west of Lost Springs on 340th Rd. to St. Luke. Lost Springs firefighters were called at 2:24 a.m. to help lift.

2:10 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transported a woman unable to stand because of swollen legs from the 200 block of S. Ash St. to Hillsboro Community Hospital.

5:42 a.m. — Peabody ambulance performed an advanced life support transfer from St. Luke to Wesley.

3:59 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transferred a patient from HCH to Newton Medical.

6:27 p.m. — A patient with recent cardiac history was transported by Peabody ambulance from the 500 block of N. Vine St. to Newton Medical.

6:48 p.m. —A woman who was having trouble breathing was taken by Hillsboro ambulance from Parkside Homes to HCH.


10:59 a.m. — Marion ambulance took a woman with a history of stroke and complaining of lethargy, weakness, and pain from Peabody Care Center to Newton Medical. Peabody ambulance initially was paged but informed dispatchers it was available only as a first-responder unit.

3:42 p.m. — A man apparently suffering a seizure was transported by Marion ambulance from the 600 block of S. 3rd St. to St. Luke.

4:51 p.m. — Peabody ambulance performed a non-emergency transfer from 200 block of W. 4th St. in Florence to St. Luke Living Center.

5:56 p.m. — St. Luke directly contacted Marion ambulance to transfer a patient to Wesley..

8:35 p.m. — After Peabody ambulance could not respond, Hillsboro ambulance transported a patient with symptoms of sepsis from Peabody Rehab and Care Center to Via Christi-St. Francis in Wichita. A Peabody first responder provided directions to the care center.

11:01 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to St. Francis.


9:29 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to Salem Apartments to help an apparently uninjured male who had fallen and needed help getting up.

6:58 p.m. — Burns, Florence, and Peabody firefighters and Peabody ambulance were dispatched to a shed fire near 50th and Vista Rds. The last units remained on the scene until 10:32 p.m.

8:55 p.m. — Peabody ambulance transported to Newton Medical a male patient who was having chest pains at Peabody Care Center.


6:55 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transported from Parkside Homes to HCH a woman with nausea and trouble breathing.

10:04 p.m. — Marion ambulance concluded a call, details of which were not available.


7:44 a.m. — Tampa ambulance responded to what ultimately proved to be a fatal car accident two miles south of Tampa on Limestone Rd. The initial call was for an overturned vehicle on Kansa Rd., with no indication whether anyone was inside. EMTs arriving at the scene requested assistance at 7:55 a.m. from Tampa firefighters and Hillsboro rescue. A helicopter ambulance also was dispatched but it was canceled at 8:30 a.m. Rescue units remained on the scene until 10:10 a.m.

10:29 a.m. — A patient who became ill in the 200 block of Maria St. in Lehigh was transported to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance. A Lehigh firefighter helped lift.


7:17 p.m. — Marion firefighters and ambulance were dispatched to a report from a motorist of smoke coming from a shed near K-150 and Clover Rd. A firefighter who had been fishing near the scene reported only a small pile of hay burning next to a fire pit at Alfalfa Rd.

7:45 p.m. — A woman in her 60s who fell near 130th and Holly Rds. was transported to Newton Medical by Hillsboro ambulance.


12:31 a.m. — Peabody ambulance was paged for a man who reported suffering chest pains and vomiting in the 700 block of Elm St. in Peabody. No response was recorded and the page was repeated at 1:02 a.m. A minute later, Hillsboro ambulance was paged for the same call. After a Hillsboro EMT informed dispatchers she could answer only as a first responder, dispatchers then paged Marion ambulance. Meanwhile, law enforcement personnel reported on a separate frequency that they would be on standby nearby in case of difficulty but expected the patient would decline transport. At 1:21 a.m. dispatchers informed EMTs en route to the scene that the patient had called back and was feeling better. The ambulance arrived at 1:24 p.m. and reported at 1:40 p.m. that the patient had declined to be transported.

Last modified June 18, 2015