• Last modified 943 days ago (Jan. 19, 2017)



Fire and ambulance dispatches monitored by the newspaper:

JAN. 10

5:01 a.m. — Marion and Florence firefighters spent 1½ hours battling a two-alarm grass fire at 170th and Bluestem Rds., moving toward 160th and Clover Rds.

2:10 p.m. — As reported last week, firefighters from Goessel, Hillsboro, and Peabody battled a house and grass fire at 90th and Indigo Rds. Although the fire was reported extinguished at 3:54 p.m., an additional tanker from Walton was requested at 4:07 p.m. to resupply Peabody fire trucks in case the fire rekindled. Peabody firefighters remained on the scene until 9 p.m.

JAN. 11

12:12 a.m. — Peabody firefighters returned to 90th and Indigo Rds. and spent about an hour extinguishing rekindled flames.

1:20 a.m. — Tampa EMTs helped a 69-year-old woman who fell in 500 block of Lincoln St. in Tampa get back on her feet. She declined to be taken to a hospital.

5:27 a.m. — A woman complaining of nausea and diarrhea after three weeks of stomach cramps asked Hillsboro ambulance to come without lights or siren to the 100 block of S. Lincoln St. After some confusion about the address, EMTs arrived at 5:52 a.m. Whether the woman was taken to a hospital could not be determined from recorded transmissions.

10:19 a.m. — Marion ambulance, along with the county’s emergency medical director and a sheriff’s investigator from 17 miles away in Marion, were sent to a report of a fatality in the 300 block of W. Main St. in Lehigh. A Hillsboro police officer volunteered to serve as first responder. EMTs arrived at 10:35 a.m., and a deputy coroner from Hillsboro was called.

10:48 a.m. — Still in Lehigh, Marion ambulance was dispatched to a report of another fatality 27 miles away in the 400 block of S. Maple St. in Peabody. At the EMS director’s request, dispatchers also paged for first responders from Peabody. Meanwhile, Peabody ambulance, which apparently was on another call not documented in radio transmissions, returned. Both ambulances arrived at 11:10 a.m. Peabody ambulance and the EMS director stayed until 12:13 p.m., but Marion ambulance headed back to Marion at 11:32 a.m.

11:43 a.m. — Not yet back in town, Marion ambulance was dispatched along with a Hillsboro police officer to Country Haven Inn in Hillsboro for a report of a guest who would not come to the door of his room. The Hillsboro officer reported that he was tied up on another call, so the sheriff’s investigator, returning from the Lehigh fatality, volunteered to respond instead. Moments later, however, the motel reported that it had been able to contact the guest, and all calls were cancelled. Marion ambulance finally got back to Marion at 11:54 a.m.


1:47 a.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke Hospital to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita.

5:27 a.m. — Peabody ambulance performed an advanced life support transfer from St. Luke to Newton Medical Center. After the call, the ambulance attempted to reach Marion dispatch via a statewide interoperability frequency to report that it was headed back to Peabody. While the transmission was recorded by the newspaper, dispatchers reported not hearing it.

5:44 p.m. — Goessel and Hillsboro firefighters extinguished a grass fire on K-15 between 170th and 180th Rds.

8:49 p.m. — A woman who was reported to be shaking and feeling ill after a previous fall was taken by Tampa ambulance from the 500 block of Lincoln St. in Tampa to Herington Municipal Hospital.


7:18 a.m. — Peabody ambulance and first responders from Florence were sent to an injury accident on US-77 just south of Florence, where a car had hit a deer and the car’s air bags had deployed. At 7:24 a.m., a first responder described the motorist’s injuries as possibly life threatening and expressed concern over not being able to transport the patient to a hospital. Peabody ambulance arrived 13 minutes later and apparently took the motorist to a hospital. However, radio transmissions were garbled, and the location of hospital could not be determined.

12:46 p.m. — A person who reportedly lost consciousness in the 400 block of S. Locust St. was transported to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance.

2:52 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Via Christi Hospital, Wichita, returning at 5:54 p.m.

11:55 p.m. — A 26-year-old man complaining of pain in his right hip was taken from the 300 N. Washington St. in Hillsboro to HCH by Marion ambulance.


8:15 a.m. — Peabody firefighters investigated a gas odor in the 300 block of N. Olive St.

4:01 p.m. — Lost Springs firefighters spent about half an hour containing what had been a controlled burn of brush piles along Wagon Wheel Rd. between 330th and 340th Rds.

7:07 p.m. — An accidentally activated medical alarm sent Goessel first responders to a farmhouse near 180th and Alamo Rds. Peabody ambulance also was dispatched, but the call was cancelled at 7:33 p.m., before it arrived.


12:40 p.m. — A report of a motorist slumped over in a vehicle on K-15 near 290th Rd. ended up in a trip not to a hospital but to jail. A sheriff’s deputy responding along with Durham first responders and Tampa ambulance determined that the vehicle, belonging to an electrical contractor in Salina and containing a large quantity of valuable items, had been reported stolen. The vehicle was towed, and a suspect was taken to Marion County Jail.

2:51 p.m. — An elderly woman who was found unconscious and unresponsive after police performed a welfare check at Cedar and Maple Sts. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The county EMS director also responded to the call.


6:13 a.m. — An elderly patient with breathing difficulty in the 700 block of N. Olive St. was taken by Peabody ambulance to Susan B. Allen Memorial Hospital in El Dorado. Peabody firefighters helped lift. EMTs also asked for assistance from the county EMS director.

9:10 a.m. — A woman with a blood clot in her leg, swollen feet, and blurred vision was taken from 300th Rd. near Pawnee Rd. to St. Luke by Tampa ambulance. Lincolnville first responders also were called.

9:12 a.m. — Goessel first responders were sent to a rural Canton residence in McPherson County for a report of a child who could not be roused after taking medicine. A Canton ambulance transported the child to McPherson Hospital.

6:52 p.m. — A man with blood in his stool in the 400 block of S. Floral Dr. in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Marion ambulance. One EMT in Hillsboro ambulance and three EMTs in Marion ambulance responded to the call.

8:38 p.m. — One minute after returning from the previous call, Marion ambulance was sent back to HCH to transfer a patient with a gastrointestinal bleed to Wesley. The ambulance was back in Marion at 11:37 p.m.

Last modified Jan. 19, 2017