• Last modified 814 days ago (June 1, 2017)



From radio transmissions monitored by the newspaper:

MAY 23

12:17 a.m. — A complete sweep of the former Hillsboro Community Hospital complex by Hillsboro firefighters could find no evidence of an alarm that had been reported by a private alarm company.

9:04 a.m. — A patient who passed out at Prairie View mental health center in Hillsboro was transported to HCH by Marion ambulance. A lone emergency medical technician in Hillsboro ambulance arrived five minutes after the initial call but had to wait 18 minutes more for Marion ambulance, with two EMTs, to transport the patient. (May 23 wasn’t one of the days listed earlier this month as having insufficient EMTs on duty in Hillsboro.)

11:25 p.m. — A grandmother suffering seizures in the 100 block of E. 9th St. in Florence was taken to HCH by Florence ambulance.

MAY 24

1:55 a.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke Hospital to Susan B. Allen Memorial Hospital, El Dorado.

9:38 a.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to a Newton doctor’s office, waited for 40 minutes, took the patient to Newton Medical Center’s emergency room, waited almost an hour, and then returned the patient to St. Luke. The ambulance was back in quarters nearly four hours after the initial call.

1:37 p.m. — Less than 10 minutes after Marion ambulance returned from Newton, it was dispatched along with Marion firefighters and rescue squad members to a two-vehicle injury accident at US-56 and Industrial Rd. All responding units were warned the highway was littered with nails.

Hillsboro ambulance also was dispatched, arriving 12 minutes after the initial call. Ten minutes later, it transported one patient to St. Luke. Four minutes after that, Marion ambulance transported a second patient to St. Luke.

A LifeTeam air ambulance, an hour and 20 minutes away, briefly was alerted as well; however, that call was quickly canceled.

5:22 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transferred a patient from HCH to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. A third EMT rode along.


3:59 p.m. — A woman who fell in an apartment in the 1500 block of E. Main St. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.


7:38 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transported a patient, apparently from the Goessel area, to Newton Medical. Details of the call were garbled.

9:54 a.m. — A 91-year-old woman who hurt her knee in the 400 block of N. Cedar St. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

10:05 a.m. — With Marion ambulance still on the Cedar St. call, Hillsboro ambulance was sent to the 400 block of Elm St. in Marion to transport to St. Luke a man who reportedly was unable to walk. The county emergency medical director arrived four minutes after the initial call. Hillsboro ambulance arrived nine minutes later.

1:26 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke Medical Clinic to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance was back in quarters at 4:09 p.m.

2:08 p.m. — With no responders in Florence or, apparently, Peabody and Marion ambulance still en route to Wichita, Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to travel 33 miles to the 100 block of Cincinnati St. in Burns, where a woman had fallen. A first responder from Burns, who arrived in her own vehicle, canceled the ambulance 18 minutes later. After stopping to visit the county EMS director in Marion, Hillsboro ambulance was back in its quarters at 3:23 p.m.

11:20 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to an unattended death at a farmhouse on 150th between Pawnee and Quail Creek Rds.


10:53 a.m. — A woman whose daughter found her bleeding and confused on the floor of a residence in the 1000 block of Hudson St. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

3 p.m. — Marion ambulance was initially dispatched to the 300 block of N. Locust St. in Peabody for a report of a woman possibly suffering the effects of a blood clot. The call was switched to Peabody ambulance three minutes later after a second Peabody EMT responded. Peabody ambulance left its station four minutes later and, 18 minutes after that, transported the patient to St. Luke Hospital. The ambulance was back in Peabody at 5 p.m.

3:43 p.m. — A woman suffering severe headaches for several days was taken from the 200 block of N. 4th St. to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. Without returning to quarters, the ambulance then headed to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, with a patient being transferred from St. Luke. The ambulance was back in Marion at 6:49 p.m.


3:20 a.m. — Marion ambulance and firefighters were called as a precaution after a carbon monoxide alarm sounded at a home in the 500 block of S. Freeborn St. Firefighters remained on the scene until after a technician from Atmos Energy arrived.

5:26 a.m. — With no response to a page for Florence ambulance, Marion ambulance was dispatched to a minor traffic accident west of the roundabout on US-50 near Florence. When the ambulance arrived 15 minutes later, two patients were checked because air bags had deployed, but no one was taken to a hospital.

4:30 p.m. — Both a 3-year-old who fell into Marion County Lake from the lake’s heated fishing dock and the child’s grandmother, who apparently cut her leg while pulling the child out, were checked by EMTs from Marion ambulance but were not taken to a hospital.


7:27 p.m. — A vehicle that may have been intentionally driven in the Cottonwood River bridge on US-77 near Florence was unoccupied when Florence ambulance arrived. No further information was available from radio broadcasts.

Last modified June 1, 2017