• Last modified 731 days ago (June 15, 2017)



Radio transmissions monitored by the newspaper:

June 6

2:48 p.m. — Goessel fire was paged for a 79-year-old woman on a floor who was conscious and breathing in the 300 block of 30th Ave. in Harvey County. While attempting to page first responders, it was determined that a Moundridge ambulance was responding to the call.

june 7

10:01 a.m. — A 19-year-old male having a seizure at an apartment at Ash and D Sts. refused transportation by Hillsboro ambulance.


6:28 a.m. — A female patient with breathing difficulties was transported by Hillsboro ambulance from Bethesda Home in Goessel to Newton Medical Center. Goessel first responders assisted.

3:32 p.m. — A dispatcher paged Marion ambulance for a transfer from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Kansas Heart Hospital in Wichita, but at 3:37 p.m., Hillsboro ambulance told dispatchers it would complete the call.

3:35 p.m. — An electric line caught fire during a controlled brush burn on US-77 between 280th and 290th Rds. Lincolnville firefighters cut down burning trees and put out the fire by 4:17 p.m. Firefighters remained at the scene until a Westar repair truck arrived at 4:28 p.m.


12:26 p.m. — Marion ambulance transported a patient with a perforated bowel from St. Luke Medical Clinic to Newton Medical Center. The ambulance was back in Marion at 2:09 p.m.

12:29 p.m. — While Marion ambulance was responding to the previous call, a 55-year-old woman fell on steps at the courthouse in Marion.

A dispatcher twice used the Marion fire channel to page Hillsboro ambulance and Marion first response. An unidentified individual responded on the Marion fire channel, informing the dispatcher of the error, but the dispatcher did not re-issue the page on the proper channel.

Marion ambulance contacted dispatchers at 12:30 p.m. to determine the woman’s status. After being told she just needed to be checked out, the ambulance responded that Hillsboro ambulance could take the courthouse call. Hillsboro ambulance reported at 12:32 p.m that it was en route. It arrived at 12:43 p.m. but reported that no patient was found.

1:11 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was sent to HCH for a transfer to Via Christi – St. Francis in Wichita. The ambulance departed at 1:32 p.m., reporting minutes later that a piece of plastic on US-56 near Hillsboro Animal Clinic posed a threat to traffic. The ambulance was back in Hillsboro at 4 p.m.

1:44 p.m. — Tampa ambulance was dispatched to the 200 block of N. B St. in Ramona for a medical alarm. The ambulance arrived at 1:59 p.m. and personnel determined the alarm had malfunctioned. No transportation was necessary.

4:32 p.m. — A two-vehicle accident involving a rollover and possible injuries was reported on K-15 just north of the Marion – Harvey County line. Goessel firefighters and first responders and Hillsboro and Marion ambulances were dispatched. Goessel firefighters arrived and asked dispatchers for an estimated time of arrival for the ambulance. A dispatcher responded that Hillsboro ambulance had “been en route for a few minutes so it shouldn’t be too much longer, shouldn’t they? The second ambulance is coming from Marion so they might take a little longer.” Hillsboro ambulance arrived at 4:49 p.m. At 4:53 p.m., Marion ambulance reported it was “about five miles out.” At 5:07 p.m. Hillsboro ambulance reported it was en route to Newton Medical but did not specify patient information. Marion ambulance reported it was en route to Newton with a not seriously injured patient at 5:17 p.m.

5:11 p.m. — With Marion and Hillsboro ambulances engaged, Tampa ambulance and Marion first responders were paged to the 400 block of S. 4th St. for a man with low blood sugar who was unconscious but breathing. When Tampa asked for confirmation of the page, the dispatcher responded, “You’re the only full crew we have.” A Marion first responder was confirmed at the scene at 5:21 p.m. When told by a dispatcher at 5:30 p.m that Tampa ambulance was still 15 minutes out, a second responder took the backup Marion ambulance to the scene, requesting that Tampa ambulance stay in Pilsen until another ambulance was back in the county. At 5:56 p.m., Hillsboro ambulance reported it was 10 miles from Hillsboro, and Tampa ambulance was released to return home. Marion’s backup ambulance reported arriving at St. Luke at 5:58 p.m.

10:24 p.m. — Tampa ambulance was dispatched to Goldenrod Rd. between 300th and 310th Rds. for a man who was not alert but breathing. While EMTs were getting the ambulance, another drove to the scene and reported the patient was responsive. The ambulance arrived at 10:44 p.m. No transportation was provided.


7:49 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to Country Haven Inn for “two elderly people,” with no description of conditions. Two individuals described as not seriously ill were transported to HCH.

8:58 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance personnel helped lift a man who tripped over a recliner and fell in the 400 block of N. Ash St.

1:41 p.m. — A vehicle fire in the driveway of farm house on 190th Rd. between US-77 and Wagon Wheel Rd. drew a response from three Marion fire trucks. The first units arrived at 1:49 p.m., and a tanker en route was told to proceed at normal speed. Firefighters left the scene at 2:09 p.m.

4:10 p.m. — Lost Springs firefighters secured the site of a gas meter that was hit, presumably by a vehicle, in the 100 block of W. Chicago St. in Lost Springs. Firefighters were released after an Atmos Energy truck arrived at 5:26 p.m.

10:40 p.m. — A patient in need of a cardiac monitor was transported from St. Luke to Via Christi – St. Francis by Marion ambulance.

11:49 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transferred a patient from HCH to Kansas Heart Hospital in Wichita.


No emergency dispatches were recorded.


3:57 a.m. — Peabody ambulance responded to a report of a vehicle hitting a deer on US-50 east of Peabody. No transportation was provided.

4:54 a.m. — A patient at St. Luke with a cardiac drip was transported by Hillsboro ambulance to Kansas Heart Hospital.

4:30 p.m. — A fire in an enclosed front porch of a rental house in the 800 block of N. Vine St. in Peabody was quickly contained by Peabody firefighters. Florence fire units were en route to assist but were told to disregard.

Last modified June 15, 2017