• Last modified 758 days ago (July 27, 2017)



These broadcasts regarding fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


9:46 p.m. — A man with high blood pressure at a residence on Back Bay Court at Marion County Lake was taken to St. Luke Hospital by Marion ambulance.

3:40 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita.


5:51 a.m. — A man initially reported to be unconscious but later reported to be alert and breathing normally in the 300 block of N. Sycamore St. in Peabody was taken to Newton Medical Center by Peabody ambulance. Peabody firefighters helped lift the patient.

8:29 p.m. — Marion ambulance responded to a false alarm from a medical alert accidentally activated by an 83-year-old woman at Hilltop Manor apartments in Marion.

11:12 a.m. — A 5-year-old girl who collapsed in an alley in the 300 block of S. Adams St. in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

12:26 p.m. — A 2-year-old boy with a severe nosebleed was taken from the Peabody police department to St. Luke by Peabody ambulance.


9:55 a.m. — A man who was feeling ill in the 500 block of N. Cedar St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

4:29 p.m. — A 68-year-old woman was found dead in the 600 block of S. Washington St. in Hillsboro. Hillsboro ambulance and a coroner responded.

4:40 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters checked out a false alarm from a smoke detector on Goldenrod Rd. between 170th and 180th Rds.

10:38 p.m. — Peabody ambulance spent nearly 1½ hours on a call, details of which were garbled.


11:08 a.m. — A person with chest pains at Hillsboro Senior Center was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

11:49 a.m. — Another patient with chest pains was transferred from St. Luke to Newton Medical by Marion ambulance. A paramedic was requested for the transfer.

1:10 p.m. — With Marion ambulance not yet back from Newton, Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to St. Luke for a transfer to St. Francis. However, it was diverted back to Hillsboro eight minutes later for an unresponsive patient at Parkside Homes. The original call was reassigned to Marion ambulance when it returned at 1:57 p.m. However, Hillsboro ambulance headed back to St. Luke at 2:20 p.m. and appeared to complete the transfer to St. Francis while Marion ambulance appeared to wait to perform a second transfer to Wesley Medical Center, also in Wichita. Hillsboro ambulance returned to its station at 5:13 p.m. Marion ambulance was back in Marion at 7:20 p.m.

2:25 p.m. — Peabody firefighters were dispatched to a vehicle engulfed in fire at 60th and Remington Rds. The fire was reported extinguished at 3:15 p.m.


3:25 p.m. — Marion firefighters were called to the 100 block of Forest St. where a resident reported gas leaking from a meter she had run over. Atmos Energy was notified, and fire trucks returned to their station at 3:36 p.m.

8:18 p.m. — Goessel firefighters could not locate an out-of-control grass fire reported by McPherson County to be just east of 28th Ave. between Comanche and Cimarron Rds., two miles west of the Marion County line. Hillsboro ambulance also was dispatched, but all units returned to their quarters after no fire was found.


8:25 p.m. — A 70-year-old woman suffering low blood sugar or having a seizure was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke from the 100 block of Eisenhower Dr.

9:35 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was sent to Grand Oaks Apartments in Hillsboro to help a 47-year-old man stuck in a shower. He declined to be taken to a hospital.


9:53 a.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Newton Medical.

1:40 p.m. — An errant smoke detector in the 600 block of N. Poplar St. in Peabody was checked by Peabody firefighters.

1:55 p.m. — Another apparent false alarm, in the 400 block of N. Locust St. in Peabody, also was checked.

6:11 p.m. — A 2-year-old who hit her head, had the wind knocked out of her, and was bleeding on Mustang Rd. north of 190th Rd. was checked by Hillsboro ambulance but transported by her parents. The call came in from a Hillsboro firefighter using a fire department radio frequency.

Last modified July 27, 2017