• Last modified 629 days ago (Aug. 3, 2017)



These broadcasts regarding fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper.




12:58 p.m. — A woman fell and cut her face in the 300 block of S. Cedar St. but refused transportation by Marion ambulance.

6:18 a.m. — A semitrailer tire that caught fire on US-50 just west of the Marion-Chase county line was doused by Florence firefighters.

10:13 a.m. — A patient at St. Luke Hospital was transferred by Marion ambulance to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita.


8:26 a.m. — A patient at Hillsboro Community Hospital was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita.

10:44 p.m. — Responding to a general page to stand by for a possible paramedic transfer from St. Luke to St. Francis, Marion ambulance responded that it could provide only a basic life support. Hillsboro ambulance, still en route back from Wesley, said it also did not have a paramedic but would attempt to locate one and handle the call if needed. No call came in, however.

4:01 p.m. — Marion ambulance was called to St. Luke Clinic to make a basic-life-support transfer to Newton Medical Center.

6:56 p.m. — An intoxicated man who fell and possibly broke his ribs at Indian Guide Apartments in Peabody was taken to St. Luke by Hillsboro ambulance.

Both Marion and Peabody ambulances initially were paged. With only one EMT listed as being on duty in Peabody, Peabody ambulance was designated as a first-response unit only.

Marion and Hillsboro ambulances both were on standby at Marion County Fair. Hillsboro ambulance took the call instead of Marion.

Hillsboro ambulance left for St. Luke at 7:36 p.m., five minutes after Peabody ambulance returned to its quarters and reported that it had two EMTs and did not need to be limited to first-response status.

Hillsboro ambulance then returned to the fair. It stayed there until returning to its quarters at 10:25 p.m. Marion ambulance, also at the fair, returned to its quarters at 11:20 p.m.


9:57 a.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to St. Francis by Hillsboro ambulance, which was called because a paramedic was required.

2:15 p.m. — A small grass fire near 130th and Eagle Rds. was extinguished within 30 minutes by Goessel firefighters.


9:42 a.m. — A cold, unbreathing man at a farm near 120th and Diamond Rd. was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation by first responders from Goessel, who arrived within three minutes. Hillsboro ambulance arrived at 10:02 a.m. and reported receiving a physician’s instructions at 10:30 a.m. The remainder of that transmission was garbled, however. The ambulance reported an hour later that it was returning to its base after first stopping in Marion.

1:48 p.m. — A field and truck on fire near Nighthawk and 175th Rd. was extinguished within 22 minutes by firefighters from Marion and, after a second alarm, Hillsboro.

11:01 p.m. — An initial report of a teenager reinjuring a knee in a traffic accident at 160th and Quail Creek Rds. resulted in a call to Marion ambulance, firefighters, and rescue squad members. At the request of Marion EMTs, Hillsboro ambulance also was dispatched. A Florence first responder overhearing the call also headed to the scene. Firefighters arrived before ambulances did and identified four potential patients. It appears only one was transported, presumably to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. However, many transmissions were garbled.


10:13 a.m. — A man who fell in a restroom at Hillsboro United Methodist Church was helped to his feet by Hillsboro EMTs. Hillsboro firefighters helped lift. The patient apparently declined to be taken to a hospital.

2:55 p.m. — A woman who fell in the 200 block of E. Main St. in Lehigh was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance. Lehigh firefighters were paged to help lift, but no one responded. Hillsboro firefighters overhearing the call volunteered to come instead, but by 3:20 p.m. their help was no longer needed.

4:47 p.m. — A patient receiving medication for pain was transferred from St. Luke to McPherson Hospital by Marion ambulance.


3:53 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transferred a patient from HCH to Wesley.

5:02 p.m. — Marion ambulance was dispatched to Grand Oak Apartments to transport a man to HCH; however, the patient declined to be transported.

10:43 p.m. — Peabody ambulance transferred a patient from Peabody Health and Rehab to Newton Medical but were diverted en route to St. Francis in Wichita.

Last modified Aug. 3, 2017