• Last modified 492 days ago (Nov. 16, 2017)



These broadcasts regarding fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper.

Nov. 7

1:36 a.m. — Peabody ambulance was paged for a man who was not breathing in the 700 block of Poplar St. While dispatchers tried to raise a second responder, a Peabody officer arrived and reported he thought the man had died. Peabody first responders arrived, a call to Marion ambulance, which had started toward the scene, was canceled, and a coroner was requested.

11:49 a.m. — A woman who could not walk in the 200 block of S. Thorp St. was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital, arriving at 12:09 p.m. At 12:38 p.m., ambulance personnel advised dispatchers that they were en route to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita. Transmissions did not indicate whether the patient being transferred was the woman brought in earlier.

Nov. 8

9:44 a.m. — Goessel firefighters investigated a report that someone smelling smoke in the 300 block of Marion St. but found no fire.

6:41 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters were paged for false fire alarm at Tabor College townhomes in the 400 block of S. Jefferson St. The alarm was triggered by a maintenance issue.


1:58 a.m. — A woman with dizziness and trouble breathing in the 200 block of S. Church St. in Goessel was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Wesley. Goessel first responders assisted.

6:41 a.m. — A patient was transferred from St. Luke to Wesley by Marion ambulance.

12:16 p.m. — A Peabody fire tanker was requested to help Harvey County firefighters with a structure fire in Walton; however, 10 minutes later the call was canceled.

5:45 p.m. — A woman in her 70s with a slow pulse rate in the 200 block of Willow St. was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Hillsboro Community Hospital. Marion ambulance appeared to be on the way to assist when a Hillsboro EMT reported it was not needed.

9:25 p.m. — A woman in her 60s with elevated blood pressure was taken taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH from the 100 block of N. Cedar St. in Hillsboro.


7:29 a.m. — Marion ambulance was dispatched for a woman who fell and was unable to get up but was not injured. Upon arrival in the 500 block of S. Cedar St., ambulance personnel reported that neighbors already had provided assistance.

12:37 p.m. — Peabody ambulance transferred a patient from Peabody Health and Rehab to Newton Medical Center. Marion ambulance personnel offered assistance when a second attendant did not immediately answer the page, but the assistance was not needed.

5:11 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient at St. Luke to Via Christi – St. Francis in Wichita.


7:19 a.m. — A man with breathing difficulties on 190th Rd. between Pawnee and Quail Creek Rds. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. Hillsboro ambulance personnel told dispatchers they were going to back up Marion ambulance on the call but would be available to take another call. However, Marion ambulance reported after arriving that assistance was not needed.

11:10 a.m. — A woman in her 90s who fell and was briefly unconscious but breathing in the 300 block of Willow St. was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH.

4:10 p.m. — Florence ambulance was paged to Burns for a report from Chase County dispatchers of a hunter who fell from a tree stand and was injured. Three minutes later, a Marion County dispatcher reported she had been in contact with Burns first responders, who said they were aware of the incident but that it was in Butler County and Florence ambulance did not need to respond.

4:35 p.m. — A power pole fire in an alley on Highland Rd. at the county lake was extinguished by Marion firefighters. They remained on scene until a Westar technician arrived at 5:54 p.m. to repair a downed line.

9:05 p.m. — An individual with difficulty breathing in the 300 block of N. C St. in Ramona was taken by Tampa ambulance to Herington Municipal Hospital. Ramona firefighters assisted.


12:58 p.m. — A young male reported to be unconscious as a result of a motorcycle accident at Green Acres motocross track on Sunflower Rd. in Marion was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke. At 1:50 p.m. a Lifeteam helicopter called St. Luke to report it would be at the hospital in 15 minutes. No subsequent Lifeteam transmissions were recorded.

2:54 p.m. — A man who tripped and fell into a ravine and broke an ankle on 150th Rd. between Holly and Goldenrod Rds. was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Newton Medical Center. Hillsboro firefighters assisted with getting the man out of the ravine.


10:15 a.m. — A male suffering a severe asthma attack on 150th Rd. between Diamond and Eagle Rds. was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Newton Medi

Last modified Nov. 16, 2017