Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
12:03 a.m. — An obese 63-year-old woman with trouble breathing at Peabody Health and Rehab was taken to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Peabody ambulance. Paramedics from Marion ambulance rode along. Both ambulance crews were back in their stations by 2:54 p.m.
6:31 a.m. — A shed fire near 40th Rd. between Upland and Vista Rds. was extinguished by Peabody and Florence firefighters. Peabody ambulance was dispatched to stand by.
8:15 a.m. — A semitrailer truck tipped over at the US-56/77/K-150 roundabout. Marion fire, rescue, and ambulance crews were initially dispatched but later told to disregard the call.
11:30 a.m. — A 90-year-old woman who fell at Pilsen Gift Shop was taken to St. Luke Hospital by Marion ambulance. First responders from Lincolnville also were paged but did not respond.
9:22 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by Marion ambulance to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita.
9:44 p.m. — Another St. Luke patient also was transferred to St. Francis, this time by Peabody ambulance, with three attendants onboard. Both ambulances were back in their stations by 12:57 a.m.
2:30 p.m. — A St. Luke patient receiving intravenous fluids was transferred to McPherson Hospital by Marion ambulance.
4:34 p.m. — A grass fire in an alley in the 500 block of N. Lincoln St. was extinguished within 14 minutes by Marion firefighters.
8:57 a.m. — A Hillsboro Community Hospital patient was transferred to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance.
10:10 a.m. — A female Goessel High School student suffering spasms of pain was taken to Newton Medical Center by Marion ambulance. Goessel first responders also were paged but did not appear to respond.
1:54 p.m. — A rekindled brush pile on US-56 between Holly and Goldenrod Rds. was extinguished as a precaution by Hillsboro firefighters, who noticed the fire and were concerned about a fire weather warning in effect at the time.
5:54 p.m. — A 63-year-old woman with abdominal pains in the 200 block of N. 4th St. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The ambulance’s radio transmissions were garbled, and the page had to be repeated multiple times over three minutes before the ambulance responded. During that time, both Hillsboro ambulance and an off-duty ambulance crewmember in his own vehicle volunteered to respond instead.
10:43 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to St. Francis by Marion ambulance.
10:35 a.m. — A 80-year-old man who did not fall but could not get up from a floor in the 600 block of Topeka St. in Lincolnville was taken to St. Luke by Tampa ambulance. Lincolnville first responders were paged but did not respond.
12:04 p.m. — A 58-year-old woman who fell and may have broken her leg near 200th and Eagle Rds. was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
2:33 p.m. — A man not feeling well in the 300 block of W. 4th St. in Florence was checked by Marion ambulance and a Florence first responder but declined to be transported to a hospital.
3:05 p.m. — An unattended fire in a brush pile on Holly Rd. between US-56 and 190th Rd. was noticed and extinguished by Hillsboro firefighters.
5:26 p.m. — A cardiac patient who previously suffered a stroke and was experiencing swelling was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke from the 200 block of N. Lincolnville Ave. A Lincolnville first responder assisted with the call.
1:57 a.m. — Embers from a small fire between buildings at Adams and D St. were extinguished by Hillsboro firefighters.
2:17 a.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Stormont Vail Hospital, Topeka, by Marion ambulance. The ambulance returned to its station at 6:38 a.m.
2:48 a.m. — A pale, shaking, and nauseated 83-year-old man with a history of heart problems was taken to HCH from the 100 block of S. Date St. Hillsboro ambulance had to be paged multiple times. One crewmember responded after two minutes of paging. He then telephoned another crewmember to join him. The ambulance did not leave its station until eight minutes after the initial dispatch. Hillsboro firefighters were summoned to help lift the patient.
1:04 p.m. — A woman who fainted at Dollar General in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
1:38 p.m. — A possible natural gas leak at Subway in Hillsboro was investigated by Hillsboro firefighters. Hillsboro ambulance also responded as a precaution.
3:56 p.m. — A grass fire that spread to a camper trailer in the 100 block of N. Madison St. in Hillsboro was extinguished by Hillsboro firefighters, who spent about an hour on the scene.
4:22 p.m. — A 70-year-old woman who fell in her bedroom in the 500 Lincoln Ave. in Tampa reportedly could not get up for two hours. Tampa ambulance provided help and determined that the woman had a medical alert device that was not functioning. The woman declined to be taken to a hospital.
5:35 a.m. — An uninjured 89-year-old man who fell at Bethesda Home in Goessel was taken as a precaution, because he was on blood thinners, to Newton Medical by Hillsboro ambulance. The page was repeated several times and eventually was accepted nearly nine minutes later by what was described as the oncoming ambulance crew.
8:29 a.m. — A detector indicating a carbon monoxide leak at a home in the 500 block of N. Coble St. was investigated by Marion firefighters.
1:13 p.m. — A woman in her 70s who was acting strangely was assessed by Hillsboro ambulance personnel and determined to be possibly having a stroke. They requested a Lifeteam helicopter and took the woman to HCH. A Lifeteam helicopter reported it was en route to Via Christi – St. Francis at 2:35 p.m.
5:50 p.m. — An elderly man with high blood pressure in the 300 block of W. D St. was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH.
5:55 p.m. — A patient at St. Luke was taken by Marion ambulance to Wesley Medical Center.
2:21 p.m. — A woman who was ill at Indian Guide Terrace Apartments was taken by Peabody ambulance to St. Luke.
9:50 p.m. — A patient at HCH was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Kansas Heart Hospital in Wichita.
Last modified Feb. 1, 2018