• Last modified 829 days ago (June 14, 2018)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


8:40 a.m. — Despite being assessed as having a possibly life-threatening condition, a 45-year-old man suffering a diabetic reaction in the 200 block of W. B St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

9:25 a.m. — All radio consoles in the sheriff’s dispatch office were down for about 10 minutes.

1:36 p.m. — A cardiac patient at St. Luke Hospital, Marion, was transferred to Newton Medical Center by Marion ambulance.

1:48 p.m. — A field fire started by a piece of farm equipment along Eagle Rd. between 220th and 230th was extinguished within 15 minutes by Hillsboro firefighters.


11:52 a.m. — A 69-year-old woman not feeling well in the 100 block S. Birch St. in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

3:14 p.m. — Bomb disposal experts from Fort Riley and sheriff’s officers were sent — along with Marion ambulance and Lincolnville firefighters two hours later, when the soldiers arrived — to deal with an item that apparently was found near 250th and Unicorn Rds. The ambulance and fire units remained on the scene until 7:42 p.m. The last remaining units, including Sheriff Rob Craft, left at 8:01 p.m.

7:14 p.m. — Goessel firefighters responded to an apparent false alarm in the kitchen at Goessel High School.

8:46 p.m. — A possible stroke victim hallucinating at Oakwood Manor apartments in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance, which had been called at the request of a police officer.

Thirty minutes after it returned to its station, the ambulance was again summoned by police, now including a sheriff’s deputy, to the same address.

An officer accompanied the patient, who this time was classified as experiencing psychological difficulties, to HCH.


1:11 a.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Marion ambulance.

6:33 a.m. — A 62-year-old man with low blood sugar in the 800 block of N. Walnut St. in Peabody opted to go to a hospital by private vehicle instead of Peabody ambulance.

5:05 p.m. — A 68-year-old woman with trouble breathing in the 500 block of N. Vine St. was taken to St. Luke by Peabody ambulance.

11:07 p.m. — A patient at Bethesda Home in Goessel was taken to Newton Medical by Hillsboro ambulance.

11:26 p.m. — Marion ambulance stood by, first at its station, then near the US-56/77/K-150 roundabout, then near 220th Rd. and US-56/77 during a massive police mobilization after an aggravated assault at Herington Ampride. A person at the latter location declined to be taken to a hospital.


10:17 a.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Newton Medical by Marion ambulance. Marion ambulance initially was called, but the call was reassigned to Hillsboro ambulance because a paramedic was needed. It then was reassigned back to Marion ambulance after a paramedic was put on that ambulance’s crew.

11:09 a.m. — A fire in an electrical box outside Peabody Historical Museum, started when a semi-trailer knocked down a power line, was extinguished by Florence and Peabody firefighters. Florence was called after no firefighters answered an initial page to Peabody. A Peabody ambulance attendant also was at the fire.

11:58 a.m. — With Marion ambulance still not back from Newton, another St. Luke patient was transferred to McPherson Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

1:45 p.m. — A grass and brush fire that spread to a barn near 250th and Alamo Rds. was extinguished within an hour by Durham and Hillsboro firefighters. The last firefighters returned to their station at 4:50 p.m.

2:45 p.m. — A septic patient at Westview Manor, Peabody, reported to be in potentially life-threatening condition, declined to be transferred to Newton Medical by Peabody ambulance and was instead transferred by Westview Manor staff.


4:39 p.m. — A day after being released from a hospital, an elderly woman who was having trouble breathing declined to be taken back to the hospital by Hillsboro ambulance from the 100 block of S. Birch St.

6:29 p.m. — A truck fire at Case and Diamond Sts. In Lehigh was quickly extinguished by Lehigh firefighter, almost before Hillsboro firefighters arrived to assist.

10:53 p.m. — Marion ambulance was dispatched to meet at US-56 and Old Mill Rd. a motorist who was trying to take to St. Luke Hospital a 75-year-old man who was short of breath. The ambulance completed the trip to the hospital after rendezvousing with the vehicle.


12:49 a.m. — Hillsboro rescue, firefighters, and ambulance were sent, after some confusion over the location, to a vehicle that plunged into a ditch on 190th Rd. near Kanza Rd. The driver declined to be taken to a hospital.

3:53 a.m. — An intoxicated man who fell into a ditch while attempting to elude two sheriff’s deputies and Marion and Hillsboro police officers for nearly an hour after a domestic dispute at a campsite at Cottonwood Point declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.

7:20 p.m. — A man who was choking in the 200 block of E. 2nd St. in Peabody declined to be taken to a hospital by Peabody ambulance. Marion ambulance also responded but quickly disregarded the call.

8:04 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kansas.

8:41 p.m. — A vehicle on fire in the 900 block of Marion St. in Florence was quickly extinguished by Florence firefighters, one of whom called in the alarm. Florence ambulance later was called to check out someone who suffered minor burns in the fire but was not taken to a hospital.

9:39 p.m. — Florence firefighters provided traffic control at a one-vehicle accident on US-77 near 160th Rd. Florence ambulance also responded but did not transport a patient.


8:56 a.m. — Fuel spilled at Johnson’s General Store in Florence was cleaned up with the help of Florence firefighters and the county’s emergency management director.

3:40 p.m. — A combine fire near 90th and Old Mill Rds. was extinguished within 40 minutes by Peabody firefighters. Peabody ambulance also responded as a precaution.

6:07 p.m. — Burns firefighters were initially called to assist Whitewater firefighters in fighting a barn fire that involved 40 burning bales of hay, but the call was quickly canceled.

8:34 p.m. — A 27-year-old woman suffering allergic seizures in the 300 block of E. Commercial St. in Goessel was taken to Newton Medical by Hillsboro ambulance. A first responder from Goessel assisted.

9:35 p.m. — With Hillsboro ambulance still in Newton, an HCH patient was transferred to Wesley by Marion ambulance.

Last modified June 14, 2018