• Last modified 819 days ago (July 2, 2018)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


2:27 a.m. — A Hillsboro Community Hospital patient was transferred to Newton Medical Center by Hillsboro ambulance.

6:05 a.m. — A woman suffering an allergic reaction at a residence on 30th Rd. between Limestone and Mustang Rds. was taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, by Peabody ambulance.

3:57 p.m. — A motorist complaining of chest pains after his vehicle hit a utility pole near Kanza and 190th Rds. was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance. Hillsboro firefighters and sheriff’s deputies closed the road.

5:32 p.m. — A 78-year-old man feeling weak-kneed after receiving medication was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance from the 600 block of E. 1st St. in Hillsboro.

9:39 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance.

11:34 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Marion ambulance.

11:58 p.m. — A man who fell at Salem Home in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance,


3:01 a.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to Wesley by Hillsboro ambulance.

11:35 a.m. — A cardiac patient at St. Luke was transferred to Newton Medical by Marion ambulance.

8:27 p.m. — Peabody ambulance stood by for a few minutes during an encounter between law enforcement officers and a possibly mentally disturbed person in the 200 block of N. Elm St. in Peabody.


A power failure in Marion prevented recording of dispatches from 12:14 a.m. until 8:51 a.m.

12:57 p.m. — A farmer at US-56 and Diamond Rd. was able to free his hand from a baler before Hillsboro ambulance and firefighters could respond.

3:56 p.m. — A Parkside Homes patient was transferred on doctor’s orders to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

7:14 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to transferred what appeared to be the same patient back to Parkside but 30 minutes later reported that it merely helped load the patient into a private vehicle. The ambulance returned to its station at 8:32 p.m.

9 p.m. — A woman with a possibly dislocated hip was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance from the 500 block of S. Cedar St. in Marion. Marion firefighters helped lift the patient.


1:33 a.m. — A man with congestive heart failure having trouble breathing in the 200 block of Kansas Ave. in Lincolnville was taken to St. Luke by Tampa ambulance. First responders from Lincolnville assisted.

3:45 a.m. — A motorist entrapped in an overturned vehicle on the Marion County side of the Harvey County line at 70th and Indigo Rds. was determined to be a fatality when a sheriff’s deputy arrived nine minutes after the initial call. Peabody ambulance arrived six minutes later along with the county emergency medical services director. Hillsboro ambulance, initially called after there was concern that only one EMT initially answered the call for Peabody ambulance, was turned back. A coroner arrived, the body was removed, and ambulance and firefighting crews completed work at the scene by 5:04 a.m.

5:38 a.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by Marion ambulance to intensive care at Wesley.

7:01 a.m. — A patient was taken from somewhere in the Peabody area to Newton Medical by Hillsboro ambulance. Peabody ambulance also responded to the call, initial details of which were not recorded because the newspaper’s recording system was undergoing daily maintenance.

9:32 p.m. — A smoldering brush pile that re-ignited south of Old Mill and 190th Rds. was extinguished by Marion firefighters, who spent about an hour at the scene.


2:02 p.m. — A smoldering drone that crashed and caught fire near Peabody’s grain elevator was checked by Peabody firefighters.

3:02 p.m. — A COPD sufferer who was feeling dizzy at Hilltop Manor apartments was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

6:36 p.m. — Peabody firefighters began responding to the first in a series of reports of storm damage: an arcing power line in a tree on Maple St. south of 2nd Sts. Power to the fire station had failed, so initial responders had to wait until a firefighter with a key arrived to open the doors.

8:09 p.m. — A smoldering fire in debris after a lightning strike downed limbs blocking N. 3rd St. and E. North St. in Marion was extinguished by Marion firefighters.

9:14 p.m. — A three-alarm garage fire in the 700 block of N. Maple St. in Peabody was extinguished by firefighters from Peabody, Florence, and Burns, who spent nearly 1½ hours on the scene.

Peabody ambulance was dispatched as a precaution. When only one EMT responded, Florence ambulance was paged instead. However, a second EMT in Peabody eventually responded, and the call for Florence ambulance was canceled.


11:37 a.m. — A motorbike rider in his mid-20s complaining of back pain after an accident at Green Acres MX Track on Sunflower Rd. north of Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

1:49 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by helicopter to St. Francis. Additional information was not immediately available.

Last modified July 2, 2018