Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
12:31 a.m. — An 81-year-old man with what were described as diabetic issues at an apartment in the 100 block of N. Washington St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
8:47 a.m. — An elderly woman who fell was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital in Marion after a Marion firefighter reported that she needed to be checked out in the 200 block of N. 4th St. in Marion.
11:44 a.m. — A patient at St. Luke Clinic in Marion was taken to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Marion ambulance.
6:36 p.m. — A 90-year-old man with chest pains at Parkside Homes in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
10:12 a.m. — A Marion County Record employee experiencing cold sweats and dizziness was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The county emergency medical services director also responded.
12:34 p.m. — A gas line ruptured by a road grader in an alley between Washington, Lincoln, 1st, and 2nd Sts. in Hillsboro was monitored by Hillsboro firefighters, who evacuated nearby residents until Atmos Energy employees could stop the leak. Firefighters remained on the scene for more than two hours.
2:09 p.m. — A woman with a back injury was taken by Marion ambulance from the 200 block of W. 4th St. in Florence to St. Luke.
4:04 p.m. — At her mother’s request, a young woman involved in an accident north of 180th and Meridan Rds. was checked by Hillsboro ambulance and taken to Newton Medical Center.
4:39 p.m. — A man who fell off a roof in the 200 block of S. Washington St. in Burns and was bleeding from his head was taken to Wesley by Marion ambulance. First responders from Burns also answered the call.
4:15 a.m. — A stiff neck after a possible tick bite prompted Peabody ambulance to take a patient to Newton Med from the 800 block of N. Elm St. in Peabody.
4:40 a.m. — Firefighters checked rotten egg odors at HCH and found that, instead of being from leaking gas, they might have been from nearby sewage lagoons.
5:51 a.m. — A three-alarm fire in a barn set ablaze by a lightning strike at 140th and Kanza Rds. was battled for nearly four hours by firefighters from Hillsboro, Peabody, and Marion. The fire, safely contained, was left to burn itself out over the next several days.Hillsboro ambulance stood by at the scene. A Marion fire truck broke down or ran out of fuel on the way back to Marion.
2:03 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Wesley by Marion ambulance.
2:10 p.m. — A 75-year-old woman with trouble breathing and tightness in her chest at an apartment in the 400 block of N. Ash St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
2:19 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City by Marion ambulance.
5:25 a.m. — An 89-year-old woman having trouble breathing in the 700 block of N. Walnut St. in Peabody was taken to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance.
Technical difficulties prevented recording of emergency dispatches between 6 a.m. and noon.
12:04 p.m. — An 81-year-old man slipping in and out of consciousness with low blood pressure was taken from near Sunflower and 30th Rds. to Wesley by Marion ambulance, which responded along with Peabody ambulance. The ambulance was diverted to Wesley from its original destination, Newton Med.
6:04 p.m. — A reportedly smoldering oil well near 240th and US-77 was checked by Lincolnville firefighters, who determined it was simply venting fumes.
8:44 a.m. — A 20-year-old worker who hit his head after suffering a seizure at Wendy’s restaurant in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
10:09 a.m. — A 86-year-old man who fell on a porch in the 100 block of N. Roosevelt St. in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.
5:09 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital by Marion ambulance.
6:28 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to St. Francis by Hillsboro ambulance.
9:31 p.m. — A malfunctioning igniter that was clicking and sparking on a gas range at a home in the 100 block of S. Date St. in Hillsboro was disabled by Hillsboro firefighters.
Last modified Aug. 14, 2019