• Last modified 858 days ago (Feb. 17, 2022)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

FEB. 8

11:27 a.m. — A St. Luke Hospital patient was transferred to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Marion ambulance.

3:08 p.m. — Fuel or debris leaking from a non-injury, two-vehicle accident in the 400 block of E. Main St. in Marion was washed down by Marion firefighters.

4:59 p.m. — An 83-year-woman, dizzy with low blood sugar, activated a medical alarm at Homestead Senior Residences in Marion and was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

7:27 p.m. — A 57-year-old woman with back pain and numbness in her arms was taken by Tampa ambulance to St. Luke from a residence near 330th and Sunflower Rds.

FEB. 9

4:57 a.m. — A 48-year-old woman, coded as being a COVID patient and experiencing abnormal breathing and high blood sugar in the 200 block of W. 6th St. in Florence, was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. Florence first responders also were paged but did not reply.

6:08 p.m. — An 86-year-old man feeling ill after sleeping all day at Parkside Homes in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.


9:37 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to HCH to help intubate a patient, but the request was canceled before the ambulance arrived.

10:04 a.m. — An HCH patient was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita. Ambulance attendants picked up a spare oxygen bottle from a Hillsboro firefighter en route.

9:29 p.m. — A grass fire near 240th and Eagle Rds. was battled for three hours by firefighters from Hillsboro, Lehigh, and Durham.


6:20 a.m. — A ditch and field fire at 240th and Pawnee Rds. was battled for about an hour by firefighters from Marion and Lincolnville.

6:36 a.m. — An 85-year-old woman who hurt her arm, knee, and head when she fell in a bathroom at Hilltop Manor in Marion was helped up but declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.

9:40 a.m. — A small fire in a ditch at 120th and Eagle Rds. quickly was extinguished by Goessel firefighters.

2:38 p.m. — A 30-year-old man requiring advanced life support was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Wesley.


5:12 a.m. — A 94-year-old man with high blood pressure and weakness who fell twice at a residence in the 400 block of S. Freeborn St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

5:37 a.m. — A 66-year-old man vomiting what may have been blood was taken on physician’s orders from Salem Home, Hillsboro, to HCH. Dispatchers did not provide a location for the call until asked by Hillsboro ambulance attendants.

7:29 a.m. — An 83-year-old man experiencing hip pain at a residence in the 200 block of N. Adams St. in Hillsboro was examined by Hillsboro ambulance attendants but declined to be taken to a hospital.

11:09 a.m. — An HCH patient with gastrointestinal bleeding was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to Newton Medical Center.

7:15 p.m. — A 93-year-old diabetic man, reportedly combative and uncooperative regarding monitoring of his blood sugar, declined to be taken by Marion ambulance to a hospital from a residence near 240th and Alfalfa Rds.

9:01 p.m. — An 83-year-old man complaining of leg pain at a residence in the 200 block of N. Adams St. in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.


1:38 a.m. — A 30-year-old man, identified on police transmissions as intoxicated, suffered what was described as a serious head injury when an all-terrain or utility vehicle crashed into a ditch near 20th and Xavier Rds.

Burns first responders, Marion ambulance, and Peabody ambulance all were sent to the scene. The patient ended up being transported by Peabody ambulance to Wesley after being diverted there from another unidentified hospital.

A helicopter ambulance initially was called, and Burns firefighters were called to establish a landing zone, but the helicopter later was canceled.

11:03 a.m. — A 17-year-old boy complaining of stomach pain in the 700 block of W. Grand Ave. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

1:39 p.m. — Another 17-year-old boy, this one seriously injured and drifting in and out of consciousness after an accident on a dirt bike during $20 practice runs at Green Acres MX racetrack at 1994 Sunflower Rd., was taken to Wesley by Marion ambulance.

Hillsboro ambulance also responded to the call. Three different helicopter ambulance services were consulted, but none was available to assist. A Marion firefighter and EMT reported being at the event before the accident.

1:59 p.m. — Burns firefighters and Marion County dispatchers were puzzled by a text message that Burns firefighters received asking that they assist Marion County with a traffic accident involving injuries. No such accident had occurred.

2:05 p.m. — A 91-year-old man who fell and could not get up at a residence near Upland Rd. and Lakeshore Dr. at Marion County Park and Lake was taken to St. Luke by Hillsboro ambulance.

Peabody ambulance initially was called, but Hillsboro ambulance was able to leave the racetrack call to handle the call instead.

2:06 p.m. — The rear and possibly the interior of a house in the 400 block of N. Pine St. in Peabody, where an adjacent wood-burning stove had caught fire Feb. 1, was fully engulfed by flames when firefighters from Peabody, Florence, and Burns arrived.

Firefighters battled the blaze for 2½ hours and indicated the house was likely a total loss.

They initially were sent to Vine St. instead of Pine St. but quickly found the correct location. Peabody ambulance was redirected from the county lake call to stand by at the fire.

2:32 p.m. — A 91-year-old woman at Hilltop Manor in Marion complained of pain in her leg after a fall a month earlier.

With all ambulances still on calls and after failing to locate another off-duty ambulance attendant, the county’s ambulance director responded by himself in the county’s backup ambulance in hope that Hillsboro ambulance would be completed with its county lake call in time to provide transportation.

He also ordered Tampa ambulance to respond, saying he would cancel the call if unnecessary. At 2:52 p.m., Hillsboro ambulance became available, and he diverted Tampa ambulance to stand by near Canada in case there were additional calls until Marion ambulance returned from Wesley.

Hillsboro ambulance ended up taking the patient to St. Luke.

6:32 p.m. — Sparking wires behind a residence in the 300 block of N. Walnut St. in Peabody were disconnected by Peabody firefighters until a crew from Evergy could arrive.

10:23 p.m. — A possible carbon monoxide leak at a farmhouse near 150th and Nighthawk Rds. was checked by Marion firefighters and Hillsboro ambulance attendants but proved to be a false alarm.

11:57 p.m. — A 66-year-old man who Peabody Health and Rehab hospice personnel said needed to be evaluated by emergency room personnel was taken to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance.


1:40 a.m. — Just as Peabody ambulance was arriving back at its station, it was dispatched to return to Newton Med and take the previous patient back to Peabody Health and Rehab.

2:43 p.m. — A 52-year-old man who fell out of a wheelchair at Homestead Senior Residences in Marion was helped up by Marion ambulance attendants but declined to allow them to take him to a hospital.

6:36 p.m. — A vomiting, conscious, but unresponsive man in his 60s found by sheriff’s deputies in a pickup truck parked at K-256 and US-77 was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The truck earlier had been reported as stolen, but the theft report was withdrawn before the truck was discovered.

9:01 p.m. — A deputy requested that Marion ambulance go to the county jail to administer a blood test to a motorist stopped two hours earlier at US-50 and Wagon Wheel Rd.

Last modified Feb. 17, 2022