• Last modified 670 days ago (Aug. 17, 2022)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

AUG. 9

5:10 a.m. — Two patients who reportedly suffered minor scrapes and cuts when a vehicle rolled on its side in a ditch on 120th Rd. between Eagle and Falcon Rds. declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance augmented by a Goessel first responder.

Goessel fire fighters, Hillsboro first responders and rescue squad members, and Marion ambulance were initially dispatched but told to disregard the call after a Goessel firefighter reached the scene.

9:05 p.m. — A Marion firefighter whose personal vehicle broke down at US-56 and Eagle Rd. radioed for help from a sheriff’s deputy.

AUG. 10

1:09 p.m. — A 54-year-old man who became ill while driving on K-15 near 240th Rd. and briefly lost consciousness declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

3:13 p.m. — A 65-year-old woman not feeling well at a home in the 300 block of N. Jefferson St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

11:35 p.m. — A respiratory collapse patient at St. Luke Hospital, Marion, was intubated with help from attendants aboard Marion and Hillsboro ambulances, all of whom then were involved in transferring the critically ill patient to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center. The ambulances returned to their stations three hours later.


10:08 p.m. — A formerly controlled field fire that flared up unattended near Kanza and 260th Rds. was knocked down by Durham firefighters in less than an hour.


4:38 a.m. — A 98-year-old woman with COVID-19 who fell and hurt her arm at a residence in the 500 block of S. Wilson St. in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.


12:11 p.m. — What was reported as a small grass fire, again near Kanza and 260th Rds., could not be found by Durham firefighters.

2:01 p.m. — A 55-year-old man recovering from respiratory arrest at HCH was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to Salina Regional Health Center. The ambulance was back in its station three hours later.

2:48 p.m. — A tractor, baler, and field on fire, endangering a house at 170th and Diamond Rds., was battled for nearly 3½ hours by Goessel and Hillsboro firefighters.


12:41 p.m. — A man whose son could not get him to awaken in a vehicle on Indigo Rd. south of Hillsboro was taken to HCH in critical condition by a partially staffed Hillsboro ambulance augmented by an emergency medical technician from Hillsboro fire department. A partial ambulance crew aboard Marion also responded, and Tampa ambulance briefly was ordered to stand by near Canada in case of additional calls or a need to transfer the patient after his arrival at HCH. All three ambulances were back in their quarters in less than an hour.

9:23 p.m. — A 17-year-old girl with cuts on her hip was checked by Hillsboro ambulance attendants and a sheriff’s deputy working as a Lehigh first responder after a domestic dispute involving a knife at 240th and Diamond Rds. The girl was taken into custody by a second deputy, who took her in his squad car to HCH for psychological evaluation. A Hillsboro police officer and the undersheriff also were dispatched.


8:12 a.m. — A diabetic 41-year-old woman in the 100 block of E. 9th St. in Florence was taken by Marion ambulance to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita. During the transfer, an additional ambulance attendant was called to the Marion station to be available as a first responder. The ambulance returned to its station three hours later.

11:03 a.m. — A report of a house on fire in the 600 or 700 block of Locust St. in Peabody turned out to be a small fire pit. Peabody, Florence, and Burns firefighters and Peabody and Hillsboro ambulances all were dispatched but quickly told to disregard the call.

1:07 p.m. — An 87-year-old man who fell and hurt his arm at Marion Assisted Living was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

3:59 p.m. — What appeared to be the same patient was in the process of being transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to St. Francis, but at the last minute a helicopter ambulance was called instead.

4:19 p.m. — A two-vehicle, rollover accident on US-77 north of 140th Rd. ended in an arrest, a trip to a hospital, and two cats being taken to a veterinarian’s office. One person was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. A second person was taken into custody by sheriff’s deputies, arrested on suspicion not only of drug and alcohol charges but also suspicion of aggravated assault and battery of a law enforcement office. The cats were taken by the undersheriff to Animal Health Center, Marion. Florence firefighters, and rescue squad members also responded to the accident.

7:31 p.m. — Marion ambulance drew blood from an inmate at the county jail.

9:55 p.m. — An 87-year-old woman who fell and hurt her arm at Parkside Homes assisted living in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

Last modified Aug. 17, 2022