• Last modified 565 days ago (Nov. 2, 2022)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

OCT. 25

6:58 a.m. — A burning utility pole in a driveway at a farmhouse at 70th and Chisholm Trail Rds. was monitored by Goessel firefighters until an Evergy crew arrived to disconnect electric service.

8:52 a.m. — Six minutes after Hillsboro firefighters were dispatched for a fire alarm at Hillsboro Industries, an alarm company informed dispatchers that it was a false alarm.

11:39 a.m. — Burning power poles connected to an oil lease just west of Burns on 10th Rd. were extinguished by Burns firefighters, who spent 1½ hours turning off power, fighting the fire, and notifying the leaseholder.

12:56 p.m. — A 58-year-old woman having trouble breathing in the 300 block of County Rd. in Tampa was taken by Tampa ambulance to Herington Hospital. Marion ambulance briefly was dispatched as well.

2:27 p.m. — Burns firefighters were sent back to the oil lease fire, which had rekindled, and spent nearly an hour before returning to their station.

7:05 p.m. — A diabetic 41-year-old woman with high blood sugar, feeling hot and clammy, and experiencing chest pain in the 300 block of N. Cincinnati Ave. in Burns declined to be taken to a hospital by Peabody or Marion ambulance, both of which were dispatched along with first responders from Burns.

OCT. 26

2:53 p.m. — Goessel firefighters spent less than 30 minutes dealing with a small electrical fire in an outlet at a garbled location, possibly in McPherson County.


10:29 a.m. — An unconscious 94-year-old woman was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, from a farmhouse near 350th and Remington Rds. Tampa ambulance also responded.

2:50 p.m. — An 83-year-old woman who could not get out of bed after having fallen several days earlier was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke from the 500 block of N. Coble St. in Marion.

5:50 p.m. — Tampa ambulance stood by until 8:21 p.m. during a football game at Centre schools.

6:55 p.m. — Marion ambulance, Burns first responders, and briefly Peabody ambulance were sent back to the 300 block of N. Cincinnati Ave. in Burns for another report of a chest discomfort being experienced by the 41-year-old woman there. This time, she agreed to be taken by Marion ambulance to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Marion at 9:48 p.m.


3:14 p.m. — A 71-year-old woman with pneumonia was transferred from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Hutchinson Regional Medical Center by Hillsboro ambulance.

5:52 p.m. — A 4-month-old baby who had been crying for 45 minutes at a rental home in the 300 block of S. Roosevelt St. in Marion was checked by Marion ambulance attendants but not taken to a hospital.

6:38 p.m. — Marion ambulance stood by until 9:17 p.m. during a football game at Marion stadium.

6:48 p.m. — Peabody ambulance stood by at a football game at City Park until being called to transfer a nursing home patient.

8:02 p.m. — A 65-year-old man needing a feeding tube was transferred by Peabody ambulance from Peabody Health and Rehab to NMC Health, Newton. Hillsboro ambulance replaced Peabody ambulance on standby at the Peabody football game until 9:17 p.m. It returned to Hillsboro at 9:42 p.m. Peabody ambulance returned to Peabody at 9:25 p.m.

9:37 p.m. — Peabody ambulance was sent back to NMC to transfer the patient whom it had just taken there back to Peabody Health and Rehab.

10:08 p.m. — Hillsboro and Marion ambulances were dispatched for a report of a 31-year-old woman having trouble breathing at Casey’s General Store, Hillsboro. There was no indication on monitored transmissions of the patient being taken to a hospital.


2:36 a.m. — A 65-year-old man with a nosebleed and foot pain who had not been taking prescribed blood pressure medication was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance from the 100 block of S. Wilson St. in Hillsboro.

12:39 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance stood by during a Tabor College football game until receiving a call to an apartment complex.

2:40 p.m. — A Peabody Health and Rehab patient was transferred by Peabody ambulance to NMC. The ambulance returned to Peabody at 4 p.m.

2:50 p.m. — A diabetic 44-year-old woman complaining of foot pain at Oakwood Manor Apartments in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance. It was replaced at the Tabor football game until 3:48 p.m. by Marion ambulance.

5:05 p.m. — A 75-year-old woman having trouble speaking after having undergone surgery was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH from the 400 block of S. Vernon Ave. in Lehigh.


12:55 p.m. — A 36-year-old woman was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Wesley Woodlawn Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Marion at 3:20 p.m.


9:44 a.m. — A 78-year-old woman, sickened by cancer treatment, was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance from the 1000 block of Tanglewood St. in Marion.

3:22 p.m. — At a police officer’s request, Hillsboro ambulance checked on a male patient in the 400 block of S. Floral Dr. in Hillsboro. The patient declined to be taken to a hospital.

4:58 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance returned to the Floral Dr. address and transported to HCH an 81-year-old man who fell and hit his face on the floor.

Last modified Nov. 2, 2022