The second annual Goessel Harvest Festival was deemed a success.
Mother Nature cooperated, providing a beautiful fall day for the outdoor events.
The day began at 8 a.m. with a 5k run with 116 runners participating from central Kansas. Kevin Nickel of Newton was the overall winner of the race with a time of 17:02. Lois Janzen of Goessel was the oldest walker at age 76.
Thirty-six golfers hit the greens at 10 a.m. in a benefit tournament with more than $2,000 being raised to help with medical expenses for Fred and Brenda Schmidt of Goessel.
At 5 p.m., festival-goers enjoyed grilled hamburgers with the trimmings provided by Keith’s Foods. The band Justus played from 6 to 9 p.m.
Plans already are in motion for next year’s festival which will be Sept. 26, 2009.
The top 10 finishers of the 5k run were:
1. Kevin Nickel, Newton, 17:02.
2. Brandon Paulseen, Wichita, 17:05.
3. Todd Lehman, Hesston, 17:59.
4. Sean Leihy, Hillsboro, 18:05.
5. Peter Krestch, Derby, 18:26.
6. Rod Zook, Hutchinson, 18:52.
7. Doug May, Wichita, 19:36.
8. Ricky Wulf, Cheney, 19:41.
9. Adam May, Wichita, 19:51.
10. Brian Skinner, Clay Center, 20:07.