ARCHIVE

  • Last modified 3051 days ago (July 15, 2010)

MORE

Hillsboro team to sit out end of season

Staff writer

The Hillsboro Senior Babe Ruth team did not participate in the Babe Ruth district tournament Thursday through Saturday in Lyons and will not play in the state tournament Thursday through Monday.

Eight players had scheduling conflicts the weekend of July 15 that whittled the team roster down to eight players, one short of the minimum number of players needed. Head coach Justin Moore was forced to pull the team out of its postseason tournaments.

“I’m kind of disappointed,” Moore said. “We’re 17-2. I think we have the second best record for (an American) Legion team that Hillsboro has ever had, and to not even go to districts is pretty disappointing.”

Hillsboro played with nine players in the state tournament last year.

“We had eight guys who wanted to go,” Moore said. “I feel bad for those kids.”

Moore tried to persuade his players to make their schedule work but conceded to the fact that they had other things to do.

“I have to respect the fact that there are other things going on in their life,” Moore said. “I feel bad for the kids that are leaving that have to juggle two things at once.”

Last modified July 15, 2010

Quantcast