ARCHIVE

  • Last modified 3492 days ago (March 4, 2009)

MORE

Hillsboro to apply for stimulus funds

Staff writer

City of Hillsboro is pursuing money from the federal stimulus package to resurface Ash Street from Grand to Orchard.

Ash Street is the only road in the city eligible for federal aid, City Administrator Larry Paine said. The estimated cost of the project is $367,000.

City council voted Tuesday to apply for 90 percent federal funding on the project. Paine said it would improve the city’s chances compared to asking for 100 percent funding. The remaining 10 percent would have to be taken from another capital project the city plans to do.

The application is due March 13.

In other business:

  • Tabor College asked the city to create a special assessment district for a road along the athletic facility the college is building in cooperation with USD 410. The road would be on the west side of the project, south from D Street. The city would have to hold a public hearing concerning the assessment district unless all adjoining property owners petitioned the council. Earliest the city could have a hearing is April 2.
  • USD 410 requested the city vacate the right-of-way on Madison Street. Hillsboro High School will have track and field practice at Jefferson Field, and wish to install a pair of concrete pads for shotput and discus on the right-of-way. City council tabled the request.
  • Membership will be continued in Kansas Municipal Energy Agency’s mutual aid program. Participation in the program makes the city eligible for Federal Emergency Management Agency reimbursements.
  • Mike Duerksen and Shane Marler were appointed to the KMEA board.
  • APAC of Wichita will be paid $129,301 for work on the wastewater treatment plant.
  • Arbor Day is April 24 in Hillsboro. Mayor Delores Dalke signed a proclamation with the approval of city council.

Last modified March 4, 2009

Quantcast