135 years ago
july 22, 1887
Marion’s new German paper, the Marion Anzeiger, has made its debut. It presented a very neat appearance, but of its contents we cannot speak. The only thing in it which looks natural and intelligible to us is the picture of Sharp’s Mineral bath house. Marion cannot be boomed in too many languages, however, and we welcome this assistant boomer in a foreign tongue.
The past 10 days have furnished some unexpected hot weather. One hundred in the shade has been registered several afternoons. But, as is always the case in Kansas, the heat has been mitigated most of the time by pleasant breezes, and the nights have been cool and refreshing.
We are requested to say to those holding yacht tickets that the tickets should be used as soon as possible, as the boat is likely to be sold to Kansas City parties.
Work on the waterworks and electric light houses progresses finely. The main building is now nearly half completed and shows up as a fine piece of stone masonry.
A large crowd of our citizens repaired to the Rock Island depot last Saturday afternoon to see the first regular passenger train on that road steam into the county metropolis. The coaches were elegant, worthy of a great through line from the Lakes to the Gulf.
Last modified July 6, 2022