• Last modified 298 days ago (Aug. 31, 2023)


sept. 6, 1878

Curt Chandler has a cow that discounts any cow we have heard of. She has given birth to four calves within the past year, and all of them are alive. Next!

We saw corn stalks standing outside of Case & Billings office the other day, some of the ears on which we could reach only by tip-toeing — and we are a six footer.

Mr. J.S. Shackelford, the new proprietor of the boarding house until recently occupied by Misses Mawherter, is maintaining the well-earned popularity of the house.

The good work of improvement still goes on, on the hill. Dr. Hannaford has had built on his premises one of the best stables in the county — built of stone. Thos. O’Brien is also erecting stone stables.

Steven Jex has opened a splendid stone quarry a few miles below Florence. The stone is almost a marble. Mr. Jex expects to furnish the stone from this quarry for a $200,000 government building at Topeka.

We had the pleasure last Saturday of inspecting the handsome new dwelling house, just completed by the carpenters for the Misses Mawherter. The house contains five rooms, hall, cellar, two porches, closets, wardrobes, etc., all very conveniently arranged, making it one of the most comfortable and convenient homes in the city. Henry Kable and Frank Martin built the building, which is a guarantee that it is well done.

Last modified Aug. 31, 2023