• Last modified 154 days ago (Nov. 22, 2023)


Pair of paramedics face discipline

Staff writer

A state board will hear reports Nov. 30 on cases against two paramedics formerly employed in the county.

Kansas Board of Emergency Medical Service board reports on former ambulance director Curt Hasart and former part-time Peabody police officer Chad Voth, also a firefighter and paramedic.


According to an agenda for the meeting, an investigation team evaluated Hasart’s alleged failure to disclose prior disciplinary action when he applied for his Kansas paramedic license. He also is accused of failing to disclose disciplinary action when he applied for renewal of his license.

The report to be presented appears to clear Hasart of the first allegation but says he failed to disclose all his licenses as required and failed to disclose disciplinary actions in renewing his license.

The report states that Hasart violated standards of professional behavior and committed unprofessional conduct.

The investigation committee will recommend that the board find that Hasart made false or misleading statements on agency records, provided false information during the course of an investigation, made a false statement on a renewal application, and violated standards of professional behavior a third time, with two previous violations in another state.

The committee recommends his paramedic license be revoked but revocation might be stayed if Hasart actively participates in a health professionals assistance or anger management program for no less than five years at his own cost.

According to South Dakota court records, Hasart was charged Aug. 16, 2011, in South Dakota for domestic assault on July 25, 2011. He also was charged Sept. 6, 2011, with obstructing a law enforcement officer by using or threatening violence Aug. 22, 2011, and with resisting arrest by means that created a substantial risk of injury to the officer.

A probable cause affidavit for that arrest indicates that a judge had to summon courtroom security for a hearing on a temporary protection order involving Hasart.

When Hasart, outside the courtroom, was told it was time for court, he yelled, “I will f***ing kill her if I go in there.”

He walked away and ignored an order to stop. Two deputies put him to the ground, but Hasart continued to resist while they handcuffed him, the affidavit states.

While both cases were pending, his bond was modified so he could go to job interviews in Oklahoma and Wellington.

Hasart made a plea agreement Jan. 12, 2012 — after Kansas granted him a temporary license — to obstruction of justice and was sentenced Jan. 18, 2012, to pay $420 and serve 15 days in jail.

He entered a diversion agreement in the domestic assault case. Charges were dismissed Jan. 12, 2012, then refiled July 3, 2012. The case was dismissed again March 1, 2013.

South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners records indicate that Hasart entered a consent agreement Oct. 19, 2012, with a reprimand that was reported to national data banks “and all other entities deemed necessary.”

He submitted an application to a different South Dakota board July 15, 2015, seeking renewal of his advanced life support license. He worked for Wellington at that time.

Aware of his arrests, the South Dakota board put Hasart’s application “under investigation for several incidents that could potentially be considered unprofessional or dishonorable conduct.”

The department’s final ruling noted that the board of medical examiners had recommended Hasart be mandated to attend a health professionals assistance program and that on Feb. 3, 2016, Hasart submitted a letter to the medical board surrendering his EMT-Paramedic license.

Hasart had further criminal charges in Kansas while working at Wellington. There he was charged with battery and disorderly conduct. In that case, he entered a diversion agreement.


In August 2022, while on duty in Peabody, Voth was arrested by deputies on suspicion of driving under the influence.

County Attorney Joel Ensey charged Voth only with possession of a firearm while under the influence because no officers who investigated the case actually saw him driving a squad car while drunk.

Voth was convicted and sentenced to probation.

Then-Police Chief Bruce Burke fired Voth the same night he was arrested.

Voth’s police license was revoked Sept. 25 by Kansas Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training on grounds of unprofessional conduct and failure to exhibit good moral character.

The loss of Voth’s police license led to his being investigated by the emergency medical service board when he applied for his license to be renewed.

The investigation team recommends Voth be ordered to have random drug and alcohol testing for 24 months, with the first eight tests at Voth’s expense and any remaining tests at the board’s expense.

Last modified Nov. 22, 2023