Reservoir’s algae advisory elevated
After lingering for weeks as a less-serious watch, Marion Reservoir’s blue-green algae advisory was elevated last week to a more-serious warning.
The reservoir has been under a watch, warning, or closure notice virtually the entire summer. Its status will be re-evaluated this week and updated Thursday afternoon.
It is one of 12 bodies of water in the state under a warning this week. One other is under a watch.
According to Kansas Department of Health and Environment, a warning means it’s not safe for humans or animals to be exposed to reservoir water.
Skin coming in contact with reservoir water should be washed with clean water as soon as possible. Fish may be eaten but only if filleted and rinsed with clean water.
Blue-green algae, scientifically known as cyanobacteria, appear as scum on the water. When they die, they emit invisible toxins. Effects can range from mild rashes to vomiting, diarrhea, fever, sore throat, and headache all the way to potentially fatal damage to the nervous system for relatively rare types of blue-green algae.