School board reinstates annual drama, musical
USD 410 Board of Education reversed a budget cut Monday, reinstating annual performances of both a musical and a drama.
At the April 12 meeting, the board approved cutting back to one play or musical per year instead of both. The cut would have saved the district an estimated $3,100.
Rather than reducing state aid as expected, the Kansas Legislature maintained the base state aid per pupil at $4,012. Because of the higher-than-expected state aid, the school can afford to keep both the musical and drama. Superintendent Steve Noble recommended reinstating theater funding because it is a direct program for students. The board unanimously approved reinstating the funding.
In other business:
- The 2010-11 master contract for teachers was approved with a $625 increase to base pay.
- Administrative and classified employees will receive a 1.28 percent raise.
- A revised computer warranty from Twotrees Technology was approved for $85 per computer for three-year warranties. The board previously approved paying $75 per computer for identical warranties for 140 laptop computers for Hillsboro Middle School, but the cost wasn’t finalized.
- Purchasing science curriculum materials for grades six through 12 for $31,210 was approved.
- Parents as Teachers parent educator Karen Elliott has resigned. Her hours will be reassigned to other parent educators.
- Part-time English as a second language aide Gita Noble resigned. The board approved a contract for her to teach sixth-grade math part time.
- Shirley Baltzer moved from being a part-time to full-time music teacher.
- A contract was approved for Linda Ogden to remain director of Communities in Schools of Marion County.
- Vocal and instrumental music teacher Lynn Just received a five-day contract for instrumental work during the summer.
- Maintenance Director Keith Goossen outlined summer maintenance projects.
- The board met in closed session for 55 minutes to discuss negotiations. No action was taken on return to open session.
Last modified June 17, 2010