Vandalized website to be replaced
Two weeks after Marion city clerk Tiffany Jeffrey said she wanted a new website for the city, and one week after the existing one was vandalized, council members voted Monday to spend $16,766 on a three-year contact with a web hosting company.
CivicPlus, based in Manhattan, will charge the city for website development costs in three installments. The fourth year will be less expensive because the development fees will be paid.
Payments will be $4,650 the first year; $4,757 the second year; $4,870.38 the third year; and $2,488.89 the fourth year.
Referring to recent website attacks, Jeffrey told council members CivicPlus had in-house cyber security staff.
Last week, people looking for the city webpage though an online search engine landed instead on the webpage of a Canadian pharmacy selling medication for erectile dysfunction.
The result was most likely caused by a “malicious redirect.”
City administrator Roger Holter said he wanted city staff to be able to post on the website themselves instead of relying on someone else to post.
The current site is administered by former city sanitation employee Rick Burcky, who has posted items.
Jeffrey will post items in the future.
Council members voted unanimously to accept CivicPlus’ proposal after Jeffrey said she could find the money in her own budget by eliminating other items.
From Pagae A1
lation of Marion and not decrease it.”
Asked what will happen next, Holter said Mayfield had a Tuesday afternoon meeting with Robson. Holter was excused from the meeting and was not told what was discussed.
Mayfield did not return a call seeking comment for this article.
Last modified July 1, 2021