Hillsboro wrestlers spent Saturday in Eureka placing 12th out of 21 teams and scoring 56 team points.
Several wrestlers had great days, including Jon Carey who was unable to wrestle last week due to an injury.
“He wrestled aggressively and found ways to score points on his feet, off bottom, and in the top position,” coach Scott O’Hare said. “His final match of the evening was one of the most complete matches we have seen Jon wrestle.”
Carey placed third in his 126 lb., bracket by defeating Keegan Deenihan of Coffeyville.
“He dominated his opponent after only beating him by one point earlier in the day in the quarterfinals,” O’Hare said.
Teammate Levi Mendoza placed fourth in his 182 lb., bracket after defeating Nathan Vander Linden of Burlington, whom he lost too earlier in the season.
“Tristan Donaldson continues to improve at a rapid pace,” O’Hare said. “I think he could surprise some people in February if he continues to improve and work hard.”
Preston Nelson also wrestled well, O’Hare said. Nelson was 6-0 going into the quarterfinals before losing to Bobby Bleakley of St. Marys. He went on to win two more constellation matches while battling an illness throughout the day. He placed 6th in his 160 lb., bracket.
Cody Delk showed flashes of returning to form but struggled to consistently perform, O’Hare said.
The team competes next at 3 p.m. Friday in the Hoisington Classic Dual Tournament.
Four members of the JV team also competed Saturday in the Stafford JV Tournament.
“They had a great opportunity to gain valuable competition experience,” O’Hare said.
Coach Jake Schenk is seeing some nice improvements, O’Hare said.
JV competes next at 9 a.m. Saturday in Marion.
- 106 lbs., Tristan Donaldson, 1-3, sixth place.
- 120 lbs., Travis King, 2-2, third place.
- 126 lbs., Jon Carey, 4-1, third place.
- 152 lbs., Cody Delk, 2-2.
- 160 lbs., Preston Nelson, 3-3, sixth place.
- 182 lbs., Levi Mendoza, 3-2 fourth place.
- 195 lbs., Nathan Simhiser, 0-2.
- 285 lbs., Matt Reeh, 0-2.
Stafford JV Tournament
- 145 lbs., Tyson Reimer, 2-3, third place.
- 182 lbs., Mark Reeh, 0-4, fifth place.
- 195 lbs., Austin Welch, 0-4, fifth place.
- 195 lbs., Franklin Jost, 4-0 first place.