Volunteerism encouraged for 125th anniversary
Hillsboro will celebrate its 125th birthday June 26, and civic-minded residents have a chance to give the city a birthday present.
Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce is urging residents to pledge volunteer work for select city projects.
The 125th anniversary committee was planning a birthday party for the city with cake and ice cream when Diane Claassen had the idea of birthday gifts.
“If there is a birthday party, there should be birthday gifts,” Claassen said.
Claassen asked city department heads for “wish lists” of tasks for volunteers. These lists and pledge sheets are available at Quilts and QuiltRacks, 130 N. Main, Hillsboro.
Completed pledges will be presented to the city during a party at 7 p.m. June 26 at the intersection of Main and Grand streets. Department heads will organize volunteers to complete projects in July, August, and September, Claassen said.
“The pledges are coming in,” Claassen said.
Volunteering time is a way for residents to get involved without spending money, Claassen said.
Volunteerism isn’t the only activity to celebrate Hillsboro’s 125th anniversary. Residents are encouraged to bring lawn chairs to ensure they have seating at events, Claassen said.
- Farmers’ market and sloppy joe meal, 5-7 p.m. at Schaeffler House.
June 26, 7 p.m., Main and Grand streets:
- Cake and ice cream social with music by the Schniggle Fritz Band.
- Hillsboro Beard Contest judging.
- Opening of time capsule from 100th anniversary.
- Recognition of mayors past and present.
- Antique car show, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Schaeffler House.
- Costume show and vintage clothing contest, 10:30-11:30 a.m. at Schaeffler House.
- Old-fashioned chicken picnic, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Schaeffler House.
- Children’s games, 2-3 p.m. at Memorial Park.
- Bed turning, 3-4:30 p.m. at Quilts and QuiltRacks; downtown Hillsboro.
- Player piano demonstration, 3-4:30 p.m. at Molly’s on Main, 104 S. Main, Hillsboro.
- Free family swim night, 7-9 p.m. at Hillsboro Family Aquatic Center.
June 28, 5 p.m.
- Ribbon cutting for new “Joining the American Mosaic” exhibit at Hillsboro Museums Visitor Center.
Last modified May 27, 2009