Wrestlers start fast in 1st action of year
Hillsboro and Marion wrestlers found individual success in their tournaments Saturday, with each scoring multiple athletes in the top-three.
138-pounder Garrett Helmer won all five of his matches and was one of four Trojans who placed first in their weight classes at Chase County. Others were 145-pounder Jordan Bachman, 152-pounder Tristan Rathbone, and 195-pounder Austin Rempel, all of whom went 5-0 on the day.
- 120 pounds: Charlie Major, 2nd place, 3-1; and Anthony Fickes, 3rd, 3-1.
- 138 lbs: Isaiah Patton, 3rd, 4-1; and Lyle Fickes, 5th, 3-2.
- 145 lbs: Ryder Norstrom, 2nd, 4-1; and David Schafer, 5th, 3-2.
- 182 lbs: Lane Rogers, 6th, 0-3 (and two byes).
- 195 lbs: Deon Weeks, 2nd, 3-1.
- 220 pounds: Filow Cruz, 3rd, 1-3 (and one bye).
Todd Palic led the way for Marion at Herington, continuing his undefeated streak by winning both his matches to place first in the 195-pound division. He also had a bye.
He was flanked by Chance Shults, who placed second among 126-pounders, and 120-pounder Forest Slater and 170-pounder Landon Dye, who placed third in their divisions. Shults was 3-1, Slater was 2-2, and Dye went 1-2.
- 132 lbs: Quenton Taylor, 5th, 0-4.
- 152 lbs: Jack Lanning, 4th, 2-3.
- 220 pounds: Trevor Schafers, 4th, 0-3.