• Last modified 781 days ago (May 5, 2022)


50 mph residential chase ends in drug arrest

A police chase at speeds exceeding 50 mph down a residential street in Marion resulted in a drug arrest late Friday.

Officer Aaron Slater attempted to stop a vehicle at 11:10 p.m. Friday at Main and Walnut Sts., but the vehicle turned north onto Walnut.

According to police chief Clinton Jeffrey, the vehicle reached speeds in excess of 50 mph before stopping in the 500 block, where the occupant fled on foot.

Dustin J. Luchi, 42, who resides in that block at a house listed as being owned by a man in his 70s, was arrested.

Slater was backed up in the arrest by sheriff’s deputies Matt Regier and Joel Womochil.

Although police did not comment on whether there was a connection, radio transmissions indicate the attempted traffic stop occurred shortly after a series of checks officers had made on vehicles along Main St. registered to people with histories of drug arrests.

According to an offense report released Monday, a pipe with crystal residue inside was discovered in the stopped vehicle.

Luchi was jailed on suspicion of possessing methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia, interfering with law enforcement, driving while his license was suspended, and violating probation issued in a Sedgwick County case.

He was released 21 hours later on $20,000 surety bond. However, county attorney Joel Ensey filed a petition Monday seeking to have Luchi’s bond from a May 2021 arrest revoked. A hearing on that motion is set for today.

Luchi is accused of similar charges April 17 — interference with law enforcement, possession of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia, and driving while his license was canceled, suspended, or revoked.

They are not the only charges pending against Luchi. He also faces charges that on May 5, 2021, he distributed more than 3.5 grams (three dozen or more doses) of methamphetamine within 1,000 feet of a school and again possessed drug paraphernalia and drove while his license was canceled, suspended or revoked.

He failed to appear at a preliminary hearing on those charges. On Ensey’s request last summer, Luchi’s bond was forfeited, but it was reinstated last fall by magistrate Margaret White.

After several continuances, Luchi pleaded not guilty to those charges two days before his most recent arrest.

Also pending against Luchi are a charge that he possessed on May 25 a .38 caliber revolver stolen from Andre Estaben and that on April 1, 2021, he again drove while his license was suspended, canceled, or revoked and that he operated a vehicle without a valid driver’s license.

Last modified May 5, 2022